Sizzix Triple Play Blog Hop Week 2 - Black and White Favor Box

Welcome to week 2 of 7 for the Sizzix Triple Play Blog Hop!  I really enjoyed all the creative uses for Eileen Hull's Pop Up House from last week.  This week we're using Karen Burniston's Sizzix Bigz XL Die - Cube, Twist 3-D (Pop-Up) - #656739. 

I've been deep into research for 2011- 2012 color trends and have the Black and White color scheme on the brain so when I opened the kit for the Twist Cube this is what I saw as a finished project!
The box was sent already cut out of Black cardstock from Die Cuts with a View. It takes two 12 X 12" pieces to cut out the pieces for the box using the Sizzix Big Shot Pro die cutting machine. 
I chose to use my finished design as a gift box.  There is an opening in the back that's perfect to fit a party favor in.  Once you decorate and put the box together it twists easily to fold down flat.  Wouldn't it be cute to put inside of a greeting card or scrapbook?  Here's a PDF with the instructions for assembling the box.
After a practice assembly, with removable Glue Dots, I designed a branch of leaves and transferred it to the top and side pieces with white transfer paper. I used a fine liner brush to paint the design with DecoArt Americana Warm White acrylic paint.  For me, this was like sketching with a brush.  I started by pulling a curved line from the base of the stem to the top leaf. Next, I pulled smooth strokes for the vein lines and jagged strokes for the outside edge of the leaves.
I painted very fine lines to create shading from the outside edge of the leaf first and then pulling out from the vein lines. You can see on this close up that the finished design has a sketchy look and it's not really hard to do.  You could create a similar design using a paint pen or rubber stamps if you'd like. All that's left to do is to assemble the painted box, add a little name tag, tuck a gift in the back and you're finished!




[ back ] [ Sizzix ] [ forward ]

21 comments:

Cheryl said...

Very pretty and elegant!

Karen B said...

Cindy, I love this idea! What a fabulous addition to a table setting! You are so clever and the stamping is so pretty. Thank you for using my die!

Karen B said...

And by "stamping" I meant what you really did, which was transfer and paint. (Please excuse me - I get excited!)

milkcan said...

How lovely! I like your leaf design very much!

Phyllis Dobbs said...

Cindy, this is gorgous and a nice addition to the table setting!

Tiffany Windsor said...

LOVE this idea Cindy! And the simplicity of black and white is so elegant. Beautiful work!

madelinesthoughts said...

Simply gorgeous as usual Cindy!

Dina said...

Elegant & gorgeous!

Scrappymama Elaine said...

your box is beautiful!

Candice Windham said...

So elegant!

Brenda Pinnick said...

Cindy, this is so elegant! A fantastic addition to any table setting!

Debra Quartermain said...

Just so elegant Cindy! Great idea!

Ann Butler said...

oh so elegant...love it!

Unknown said...

I love how you took such a simple design and gave it such an elegant place in your tablesetting. Brilliant Idea! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Rippe said...

Thank you all for the compliments. I was worried that it was a little too simple. There some really fabulous designs on this Blog Hop!

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

Very elegant! Love it!

creativegoddess said...

I love this idea! Always looking for favor ideas!

Bonnie in SC said...

The black and white is tre' elegant. Very lovely.

Melony Bradley said...

Cindy- black and white has become one of my fav combos since it is so versatile. I love these are place markers/favors. Great job!

Jen Goode said...

This is so gorgeous!

HawaiianLibrarian said...

Understated Elegance! Mahalo