Winter Tulips

Yeah! It’s tulip time at the grocery floral department. I often buy a bunch of white tulips and display them in my favorite blown glass pitcher from Garrity’s in Kansas. The glass is a soft blue with bubbles and looks so pretty with the white tulips.

This year I added a few artificial Juniper branches and rested the large acrylic snowflake against the pitcher for a wintery feel.  The juniper branches have blue berries and a powdery coating so they match the vase and my tablecloth. The tulips in this picture are about 5 days old.



To prepare tulips just cut an inch or two from the stems, strip any extra lower leaves and drop a penny in the vase. My friend Larry, the wholesale florist extraordinaire, told me to do this a few years ago and it works for me. I think the minerals in the coin help the stems to stay straighter and they don’t droop as much. It also helps to keep them out of direct sunlight and in a cool location. I change the water and trim about ½ inch from the stems every two or three days. My flowers last at least 10 days. Of course, the temperature in my house is cool, so I'm sure that makes a difference.


The tulips will continue to grow after they are in the vase. Every day is a new look!

No comments: