Larkspur - Flower of the Month

Since I love to draw botanicals and birthdays are a reason to entertain, I thought it would be fun to do a series of "Flowers of the Month".  I've been researching the Meaning of Flowers, Birth month Flowers, State Flowers and more for about 10 years.  The Romans were probably the first to include flowers as part of birthday celebrations. The Victorians gathered flowers into Tussy Mussies (a small bouquet) with careful thought as to what each flower meant as they shared the bouquet with friends or enemies. 
Blue Larkspur
The Birthday Flower for July is Larkspur. It's a wildflower and grows in late spring in a variety of colors  I love the Blue, no surprise to those who know me, especially the very pale blue.  It's  also known as delphinium with even more varieties available now.  The name comes from spur of the flower, which reminded some people of the parts of the lark.  The plants have very tall stems with many branches.

The meaning of July's Birth flower is an open heart, levity, lightness and ardent attachment.

There are hidden meanings based on color:
Pink symbolizes fickleness
White is Joyful, happy-go-lucky
Purple - You have such as sweet disposition and first love.

You can find more information about July's Birth Flower at Birthstones.org.  I've taken lots of pictures of Larkspur and Delphinium over the years.  I think I'll start a new sketch!

God has sown his name on the heavens in glittering stars; but on earth he planteth his name by tender flowers.  Jean Paul Richter

No comments: